Accident Reporting

Reporting an Accident

If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident:

  • Call 911 to report the accident and request the assistance of law enforcement and other emergency services as needed. Provide the dispatcher with your location, the extent of any injuries, and the number of vehicles involved.
  • Each driver involved is required to complete the Driver's Motor Vehicle Accident Report form for the Nebraska Department of Roads, Highway Safety Division, within ten days following the accident if the damage exceeds $500 or if personal injury occurred. The report forms are available at any Nebraska law enforcement agency.
  • The officer's report will be completed within ten days of the accident and is available for insurance purposes. A copy of the general two-page report will cost $2. Any additional pages (i.e., supplemental report forms, photos) will cost $1 per page.